The use of mobile phones and communication related technology to individuals is part of our everyday life. This widespread ownership of mobile phones and communication related technology among young people requires that school administrators, teachers, students and parents take steps to ensure they are used responsibly. Whilst Balga Senior High School recognise that there are times when it is genuinely appropriate and useful for students to have access to a mobile phone, such as to and from school, we have developed a learning culture which promotes on-task concentration and focus without the use of these devices.
This policy is designed to ensure that potential issues are clearly understood and conflicts avoided, enabling the benefits of these devices to be enjoyed by all students.
During school hours all mobile phones, ear pieces and other communication related devices are to be OFF AND AWAY ALL DAY.
Before and After School
- Mobile phones and communication related technology MUST NOT be used on school grounds.
- Mobile phones must not be visible and must be kept in the student’s bag. Mobile phones must be switched OFF during class time.
- Teachers may direct or permit students to use tablets and computers in their lessons.
Consequences for breach of conduct:
- If students use their mobile device at school, it will be confiscated and a parent/guardian will need to collect it.
- If students do not follow the instruction to surrender their phone, then the student will be directed to a Deputy Principal.
All students who need to contact home will be assisted by Student Services.
It should be noted that it is a criminal offence to use a mobile phone to menace, harass or offend another person. As such the school may consider it appropriate to involve the police.
Balga Senior High school accepts no responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged devices.